Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Mother Lode

The Mother Lode...uh, Load...and how to get rid of it


     Mother's day was a success! 6 hours of driving, 5 moms seen and gifted, 4 cups of coffee drank, 3 kids pooped out, 2 life lessons taught, and only 1 mess to clean up...yah, curvy roads and yogurt don't mix well. YUCK! Fortunately, the puking took place as we were approaching a random natural spring so we pulled over and cleaned up in the cool, fresh water. Had to stop back by the spring on the drive home because the kids thought the water was "the best, most refreshing water we have ever tasted." This memory will be one for the books.
  With that wonderful day behind me, I look forward to the inception of summer break. Hot days, warm nights, hours by the pool, camping, BBQing with friends. Only a few more weeks of school left and then...Let the FUN begin! Of course, with hours of sitting in the baseball stands, driving to practices and tournaments, and working in front of the computer,  I began asking; "Am I bathing suit ready?" 
Is my, as my daughter refers to it, "squishy booty" ready to dive into a tiny bikini?

     I have been so busy lately I almost forgot that I was going to have sport a swimsuit sometime soon, but I don't do diets . I like food too much and I love to be active. It takes food as fuel to stay active, so no crazy diets for this mama. Thus, I am devising a plan of attack for the "fluffiness" that has happened as a result of all my sitting, scorekeeping, and cheering (from a seated position, of course. No toe touches or anything over exerting like that). Not to mention the copious amounts of pizza, cheeseburgers, and french fries that we have consumed after the games between 7:30 and 9:30 at night. The aforementioned might explain the extra "fluff" I have goin' on in the mid-section.
     Today was to be the day to get back on track and take control. I started with a little cleanse. All was well: worked, hung laundry to dry, grocery shopping (hungry), fixed the lawn mower with the help of my AMAZING neighbors, but as soon as the kids got home from school, all I wanted to do was eat.  I gave in, Errrrr! I had some chicken nuggets and rice puffs and swallowed them down with some of my lemony cleanse, but was determined to stay on track for the remainder of the day. The remainder of the day included working out with a friend and more sitting at a baseball game. I did good...until after the game. It was 9:21pm, kids were hungry, I was tired, and as soon as we came out of the grocery store I had to open every sandwich, all 3,  and "taste-test" for the kids. YOU know, "in case the sandwiches are poison". This is my usual excuse for ice cream and other delectable desserts, but tonight it was the hoagies and crunchy pickles...and the Quaker granola bar (cookies and cream) that I washed down with a glass of chocolate almond milk. YUM!  Oh, why must I do this to myself?
     I guess it is not just me who struggles with issues like these. Millions of people are waging war daily on the fight against themselves as they try to conquer their weight issues, trying to take back control and gain willpower...and a little more self-respect.  So I join the battle. To some, it may not look very hard for me to be victorious, but indeed, I fight.
Every victorious battle needs a good strategy, a fool-proof plan. So here goes...
  • Plan A: don't eat past 8pm...and no bread (it does a number on my tummy) (No really, my husband says, "I didn't know health people could smell so bad...I blame it on the bread). I try to do the paleo thing. You know, eat like a caveman eats. Only things you can kill or pick. Good theory, until the Jews came along and started baking ciabatta. If the shewbread is good for God, it is good for me. Hopefully, his tummy doesn't get gassy and bloated like mine :(
  • DO YOU KNOW?  Many people have some intolerance to wheat gluten (the protein). It can cause serious discomfort and in the worst cases, actually build up toxins in the bowels. I don't know about you, but I don't need my bowels to be anymore toxic than they already are?!?!
OK, but back to plan A:
  • Don't eat past 8pm. Simple plans are sometimes the best.
  • NO bread (not good for the tummy or the butt, thighs, and, hips)
  • Workout 
  • Create a meal plan for the next few days
  • Find a buddy (someone who will help me when I feel like giving in or give me a pep talk when I have gone face first into a pan of "paleo" fudge....oh, yes, I will give you that recipe.)
Like I said before, simple plans are sometimes the best. When we bog ourselves down with too many expectations, we feel like total failures because we can't measure up. I'm in no way saying to lower your standards. Start small. "Rome wasn't built in day". "Mount Everest is not traversed in a moment". "Don't bite off more than you can chew".  Take it a step at a time. It helps to have someone to do this with, to walk beside you, to keep you accountable. Whether it's a trusted friend, your spouse, or GOD. Invite them to share this journey with you and be totally honest with them. You've got nothing to lose except some L-B's (lbs) and some self-loathing brought on by guilt and powerlessness.

“Don’t dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energies on moving forward toward finding the answer.” ~Denis Waitley

ARE you ready to jump on board?
 
Here are a few resources you should take a look at to help you on your way. Learn more about diet and fitness with Tosca Reno who fought her own battle with weight. Be inspired by Stormie who writes amazing words of encouragement, affirmation, and truth. Keep track of your daily activity with FitBit. Journal it all with pictures, videos, and your own words with one piece of technology (ipad mini). Maybe you'll want to share your story with us.




Wish me luck. I'll keep you in my prayers and you keep me in yours. We can fight this fight together and WIN!
I can do ALL things...

3 comments:

  1. Plan A: So far, so good.

    Breakfast
    An egg, cuppa joe, and a green smoothie.

    Lunch
    4 pieces of sliced turkey with crunchy, fresh pickles inside, 10(give or take a few) pecans dipped in Kirkland pesto, 1/2 slice of toast(the delicious kind with all the seeds and nuts Eureka!)(Oh yah, I said no bread!) Ahh, foiled again. Topped it off with a large cup of Knudsen Very Veggie spicy juice.

    Doing good, minus the bread that goes against my plan A, but I'm not going to beat myself up over it.
    Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so I need that Fudge Recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the FUGDE! It's to die for. I'll post it on the next blog for sure!

      Delete

What's on your mind regarding today's post?