Monday, May 6, 2013

Must be NUTS!

I'm nuts for nuts. You may be cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs or know someone who is, but those sugary calories will kill ya. "But nuts are so fattening". Yes they are and herein lies the reason why they are soooo good for us.
Nuts contain the good kind of fats, monounsaturated fats. When we replace the saturated fats in our diet with the good fat from nuts we are helping our heart and our waistline. Did you know that people who eat nuts as part of their daily diet lose on average 1.4 lbs more and have smaller waists than those who don't? These people have replaced unhealthy, calorie deficient food with NUTS. The fiber, protein and fat combination in nuts can help us feel fuller longer so we don't destroy the box of goldfish sitting in the pantry.
Walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts, pistachios, cashews, etc provide many health benefits besides weight management including:
SO... Go nuts! Be nuts! Eating nuts as part of a healthy diet can be good for you in so many ways. Nuts contain many nutrients like vitamin E and are a great snack food, too. They're inexpensive, easy to store and easy to take with you to work or school in their pure form or as part of a bar or a mix.
Enjoy some crunchy nuts today!
If you're NUTS like me, you'll love this "cookie" recipe!

Nutty 'nana "cookies"
These are not your typical "toll house"cookie. A less sweet, healthy alternative. My kids love these as an afterschool snack. Most of the ingredients are easy to find in a grocery store (or two) natural foods section, but I have made it super easy for you by including a link to get them in one place.
 
1/2 c  Cashew Nut butter
2-3  bananas (i prefer mine less ripe), but ripe if you like it sweet 
1 egg  if you like them fluffy, or leave it out if you like them more dense 
1tsp  vanilla
IF you prefer them a bit sweeter, you could throw in a bit of honey(2 TBSP). I like to use a local variety.

Mash and mix above ingredients
 
1 1/4c  almond meal/flour + 1/4 chocolate vegan protein such as hemp 
1/2c  shredded coconut
1/2c  walnuts, optional
1tsp cinnamon
1tsp baking powder
couple pinches salt
3/4c- 1c  chocolate chips 

Mix wet and dry ingredients together   
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spoon onto cookie sheet. Bake for 15min.
Enjoy warm or refrigerate! Yummy!

 
  

6 comments:

  1. I already tried these "nana" cookies and they are the BOMB! I felt guilty eating them but they are so healthy. Going to make some more and share with friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them! They are great to share and take anywhere for a convenient snack, no 3pm sugary-coffee drink needed. Actually, these go great with a little coffee and almond milk. Yum-E!
      Keep coming back here for more helpful info and delicious recipes.
      Any anyone whose Gotta love life has gotta love cookies:)

      Delete
  2. I am excited to try these! Could I substitute almond butter for cashew butter? I have a bunch that I never use. If it changes the flavor too much, I wouldn't do it. I have never tried cashew butter... but I'm sure you've tried both. Whadaya think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almond butter would be a great substitution! My kids....the ones who tell me that ALL the food I cook is "disgusting"... don't like the flavor of it so I've had to experiment with alternatives. I, however, love almond butter. So, if I can get rid of the kids, I might just be able to use it again;) I keep telling them they "are lucky not to have to dumpster dive for their food, but if they want to try it out, I'm happy to give them a fork and flip open the lid". Thus far, they keep eating my "disgusting" food. LOL.
      Happy Baking!

      Delete
  3. Your amazon Fit N Fun doesn't have all of the items you have listed above. Is there anyway you can put them all in one place? When I add things not listed in Fit N Fun, it goes to my regular amazon shopping cart. Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can add all the things you want via the link whether they are in the store or not. It will all come back to the same place.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind regarding today's post?